I’ll admit it – I’m a baseball fan who doesn’t understand anything about fantasy baseball. I love stats, but I don’t understand the “next generation” of stats, the ones that use mostly traditional categories (ERA, AVG, SLG) to create some freakish, four-lettered frankenstat (VORP, WHIP, VRAP) that can only be understood by the privileged staterati and some sports-minded nuclear physicists.
When pondering what to do about our beleaguered, barely beloved Philadelphia baseball franchise (the Phillies, for those not familiar), I realized it’s time to involve the fans in the decision making process. The problems of the Phillies are very real, not at all fantasy. Could we, the fans, do a better job shuffling players and personnel?
Instead of retreating into the world of fantasy baseball, I propose a reality-tv format for the Phillies. At the end of each month, there will be a televised recap of the month’s events, and each of the starting eight and the entire pitching staff will be assigned phone numbers for voting. The two players with the least votes will be given their outright release and shipped off to a remote island in the Pacific, where they will attempt to survive with nothing but their glove and some pine tar. Another shlum from the bench or AAA will then be given a chance on the team.
This will increase ratings, fan interest, and will give the players a reason to perform to their capability.
As we close out the month of April, I say we send Tim Worrell and David Bell packing for the Pacific. He who survives on the island the longest can come back to the team after the all-star break.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Phuture Phils: 2030
PHILADELPHIA, PA (FEBRUARY 27, 2030): The Philadelphia Phillies have announced the trade of once upon a time superstar Bryce Harper. Harper ...
-
Philly... Sort of A win on opening day! Not just a win, but a biggish win. Who are we, the freakin' Yankees? Whatever happene...
-
The win streak of the Phillies is the talk of Philadelphia these days. I caught up with it last night for a chat, just before the g...
-
PHILADELPHIA, PA – Although he was 1-0 with a 1.77 ERA in his first four starts this season, Eude Brito’s 2.1 inning, three earned-run outi...
8 comments:
philz suck more than a leech on a prostrate of a cow in heat in a dirty lake. very disappointing.
this blogg is hilarious
Wade, why not do a show where phans compete for a position in the starting lineup?
There has been some recent Phillies-related reality TV action, though I don't think it's what you had in mind:
http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/attytood/archives/001792.html
Why not Gilligan's Island for the Fantasy Baseball Island destination? You've already got The Skipper; you've got the Millionaire and his wife to own everything; you've got the professor to chart everything and act as trainer/psychologist; Gilligan is a utility guy with batboy aspirations and The Girls, well.... you've seen Bull Durham?
Hello Wade Bloggs, been looking for the latest info on kids obesity and found this post. Though not exactly what I was searching for, it did get my attention. Interesting post, thanks for a great read.
good information
A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my alaska job search site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.
Post a Comment