Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Catch the Fever!

The Phillies have long had a promotional slogan - repeatedly requesting that we "Catch the Fever!". The slogan was printed on cups, shirts, hats and bats. It was even a cheesy disco song in the seventies starring Schmidt, Bowa, Luzinski, Maddox and the rest (send me an e-mail and I'll send it to you, very funny).

But with one championship in 122 seasons, I question if I really want to catch the kind of fever they've been promoting.

Yeah, it's a negative way of looking at things - but that's what being a Phillies fan is all about. The team puts something on the field worth supporting once a decade or so, and the fans spend the rest of those decades dispassionately following teams mired in mediocrity or stuck in dead last place.

The 1950 squad won the pennant and came close to winning it all. The sixties had the incredible rise and (more spectacular) demise of the 1964 team. The seventies took the decade off - but it was worth it when the world-championship of 1980 came around. The 1993 group of inmates took the city on its wildest ride yet.

Although the 2000's haven't produced a Phillies team worth watching yet, when it happens the city will get behind them and again become the loudest, most bodacious fans in the sport -- because we know there will be at least another ten years to rest and boo.

All that's really changed since last season is the Phillies let their most consistent starter, Eric Milton, go free. They replaced him with older, frailer Jon Lieber. They also sent Larry Bowa away, and replaced him with kinder, gentler Charlie Manuel. Manuel's been involved with professional baseball for 45 years now - so long that he actually has begun to resemble a baseball: He's round, bald, bright white, dressed in red pinstripes, and seems to go whatever way the players kick him.

Oh, and the Phillies started spring training by winning one of their first six games.

Catch the Fever? Hmmm...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The website is great you got it exactly right, another disappointing year is ahead of us. A year of yelling and screaming and cursing the phillies if it is at the game or sitting at home. Will be taking a lot of tylenol this year and a lot of years to come. As a big phillies fan I am it seems they take one step forward by signing Thome and then getting Milton last year but HEY, they are the Phillies they then take several steps backward by not signing Milton and signing 90 year old Jon Leiber. Way to go Phillies.

Anonymous said...

And don't forget the HUGE backwards step of letting Doug Glanville get away. Oh Doug, how I will miss your wonderful smile beaming down from the Phanavision.

Anonymous said...

This is the first negative Phillies article I've read in the past year or two that didn't mention Ed Wade.

Anonymous said...

nice work! try not to lose hope before the season starts though. if the red sox can win why can;t we?

Anonymous said...

So ... When does hockey start?

Wade Bloggs said...

The next article will mention Ed Wade. If the Phanatic runs for GM, maybe Doug Glanville can be the new Phanatic. And... Hockey? Focus, man. Baseball's all you've got right now.

Anonymous said...

The Dodgers used to use the phrase "catch the fever." My bros and I amended the phrase to say:

"Catch the fever, but don't die from it."

Anonymous said...

Why the negativity? Yes, the last decade has been frustrating with either losers or not-quite-good-enough teams, but the point of fandom isn't to support them once they're winning. Perhaps Phandom requires this, but I don't like it. I don't want to be the equivalent of a Braves fan.

As for the offseason moves, we'll see how Leiber works out, but Milton was a fly ball pitcher in a tiny ballpark. Without his run support, his record would've been reversed. Personally, I'm going into this season with optimism until play on the field warrants otherwise.

Wade Bloggs said...

Milton did give up a ton of home runs, but there's something to be said for durability. He gave them 6 or 7 innings, almost every time, usually keeping it close and saving the bullpen. Hopefully Lieber can stay healthy and provide something similar.

Anonymous said...

WAhhh-Wahhhh, another Phillies crybay fan.

Anonymous said...

The best website about the Phillies I have every seen!

Very funny, LOL on just about every post.

The one about Wade trying out to be the Phillies Phanatic in 77, I'd forgotten he'd tried out for that job. Almost p--d in my pants I was laughing so hard.

It's nice to see a really funny webpage about the Phillies written from a "freakin philly" perspective.

Well done, keep up the good work.

--baseball blogger

Anonymous said...

www.2jump2.com/x.php?a3 I Know what I Like, and I like it, Have a Laugh on me

Anonymous said...

Great site - I would love a copy of that old song - smilekev@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...







searchvids.com
3pic.com
porn.net
madgals.com
inthevip.com
pornaccess.com
sexnemo.com
babesglamour.com
no1babes.com
hornywolf.com

Anonymous said...









girl on video cam live and free
free arab sex video
video de sexo gratis porn
mature sex video
celebrity porn video
lesbian home video
free porn star video clip

Phuture Phils: 2030

PHILADELPHIA, PA (FEBRUARY 27, 2030): The Philadelphia Phillies have announced the trade of once upon a time superstar Bryce Harper. Harper ...